Find An Ally In Your Time Of Need

Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

On Behalf of | Jan 13, 2021 | Firm News

The use of common household items like grills, furnaces, stoves and fireplaces produces toxic carbon monoxide gas. Because carbon monoxide has no color or odor, gas leaks can lead to serious injury or death.

Review the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning so you and your family members can get the medical help you need if exposure occurs.

Physical signs

Most people who have had carbon monoxide poisoning report symptoms similar to those that occur with the flu. You may experience confusion, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, fatigue, weakness, dizziness or headache. Some individuals die because they fall asleep without seeking necessary emergency medical attention.

Anyone can get sick from exposure to carbon monoxide gas. However, some people have a higher risk, including seniors, infants, and those who have existing breathing problems, anemia, or heart disease.

Environmental signs

You should also know about the red flags of carbon monoxide gas in your environment. Since the gas does not have a telltale color or odor, your home should have a carbon monoxide detector. Ask your landlord if you live in a rental and do not have this safety measure in your unit.

Other signs that your home could have a carbon monoxide gas leak include:

  • Patched vent pipes
  • Dirty or blocked chimney
  • Improperly vented gas appliances
  • Outdated appliances in poor condition

Addressing these conditions may prevent an unthinkable tragedy. If you experienced serious injury or death in your family caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, you may have legal recourse if the accident occurred because of landlord or property owner negligence.